Monday, June 23, 2008

Flight Prison

Both of us ended up on flights delayed by at least 3 hours today. Lila's flight from Chengdu was delayed due to weather in Shanghai. Karl's flight from Shanghai was delayed due to weather in Beijing. The majority of the delay was spent waiting on the plane. We gained some cultural insight: no matter what country, passengers everywhere get frustrated with long delays! At least in China, the attendants serve you food and drinks.

The following are text messages from Karl...

9:51PM: After 4 plus hours at the gate, I am starting to feel like a prisoner. There are reports of a plane scheduled for one hour later departure already touching down in Beijing. All the passengers are starting to revolt and complain extremely loudly. If they don't do something shortly we could all end up being stormed by the Chinese police to settle this group down. All they keep saying on the intercom is sorry for the delay. I can't believe this!

10pm: We now have 50+ people standing up and screaming at the top of their lungs asking for an explanation. The flight attendants are smiling and saying they don't have any more information. This is getting funny. I wish I understood some of this tragic, comedic dialogue!
Ps now every flight request button is being pushed!
Ps I don't see any police, but they must be on the way!

10:11pm: We are moving! Looks like they are moving us to a spot easier to storm. Or maybe we are going to take off? I'll tell you shortly!

Since that was the last message I received from Karl, I assume he's on his way to Beijing. However, if I don't hear from him in 24 hours, I will have to figure out how to contact the police.

No comments: