Friday, August 22, 2008

Lila's Post Olympic Adventures in Mexico & the US

(It's March 29, 2009, and I just found this hidden in my draft box....)

The day after our Olympic adventure, I was on a flight to Mexico. Small problem… a volcano spewing ashes resulted in the need for the flight to be rerouted and delayed by several hours. Upon arrival to SFO, 9 United international flights arrived late. It was PURE chaos. Sheila (admin) and I completely missed our flight to Mexico. We drove down to Palo Alto for a quick coffee, drove by our house to make sure all was well, and then to Intel's office for work and catching up with a few of the old team. We finished off with dinner with Nabeel & Asha before heading back to the airport for the redeye to Guadalajara.

The next 4 days in Mexico went well. Lila had her staff meeting and got to spend time with the (very impressive) team based there. Everything was excellent! We had software vendors, university experts, and a host of other people present to us. The local team also did a fabulous job making the staff feel welcomed and everyone bonded. I left Mexico very amazingly energized despite an intense schedule. Did I also mention how satisfying it was to have Mexican food?! That is one cuisine I crave in Asia as we haven't found any good restaurants.

Over the weekend was a great chance to catch up on a few errnads and with friends. By Sunday, in the US, Nabeel and I went to Sonoma to do some wine tasting. Wehad a great time exploring some family run wineries and ended the day at Ledson (where Karl and I were married).

The rest of the week was spent in work meetings and at the Intel Developer Forum. My team held some press and analyst briefings around our next generation classmate PC design. It's exciting to read how the press liked the features we are targeting based on years of research by our ethnographers, researchers, and user-centered designers.

No comments: